Monday, May 18, 2015

Breakfast of Champions: Oatmeal

Oatmeal is actually awesome. It gets a bad rap, and one of my awful brats wont eat it, but I love it. It is blood-sugar friendly, filling, and cheap. But it can get super-duper boring after a while. I decided to try and come up with some interesting ways to eat it. Some where fantastic and soon to be in heavy rotation while others...notsomuch.


Day One:
This one is pretty much a go-to. It is one of my eldest spawns favorite versions. It is delicious and filling and happy. I could probably eat it everyday and be happy.
rating: 10/10


Day Two:
I decided to go for an "apple pie" version of oatmeal. I declare this to be fabulous. I used green apples, and they were delightfully tart in contrast to the maple sugar sweetness. I could happily eat this every day. 
rating: 10/10


Day Three:
Starting to feel like a badass, I decided to be adventurous. I should not have done that. At all. It was just bad. It smelled really nice, and maybe if I had real chunks of fresh peaches in there in addition to the preserves...it would have been ok. I made it about halfway through this bowl before I gave up. The cheap tea (from Trader Joe's) just made it weird and bitter.
rating: 2/10


Day Four:
I sorta forgot about this, but lets pretend I didn't! I decided to get back into the oatmeal life by throwing some of my favorite things into the bowl. This was magical. Cooking the unsweetened coconut shreds with the oats makes the whole thing taste like you cooked it in coconut milk as opposed to water. I didn't add any sort of sweetener, and it was just amazing. Next time, I might add some slivered/chopped almonds and call this an Almond Joy Oatmeal. I always preferred Almond Joy to Mounds anyway.
rating: 9/10



Day Five:
So for the last day, I decided to tackle "overnight" oats. I have tried these before and didn't like them, so I don't know what the hell I was expecting here. But I tried it...for science. It wasn't near as awful as I remember...but I only made half a serving of oatmeal and I still only managed to force half of that down. I don't think I can do cold + oatmeal texture. I just can't. That being said, I didn't find the need to add any extra sweetener to this and I even used unsweetened coconut shreds. So if you don't mind weird cold things and are trying to cut back on added sugars...maybe try this?
rating: 4/10


Five days is quite enough. Variety is the spice of life, and oatmeal for breakfast just isn't enough variety for me. (trust me, I ate it everyday for months) But it is nice to have some of these in your proverbial pocket, just for those times when you need hearty-but-not-boring breakfasts. Just not the fridge stuff. Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment